Friday 3 July 2015

Simple, yet delicious, fruit Salad

It's been a busy past few months! The blog rather fell by the way side amidst making 2 wedding cakes and 2 celebration cakes in the space of a month (perhaps I shall share some photos later), travelling around the south of England on research and studying. I also gave my first conference paper this week, oh my pretty scary stuff but quite fun, they also feed us and free food is always a bonus, especially accompanied with free alcohol, I think I could get used to this conference thing! 

Anyway, I do have quite a backlog of recipes to share with you now that things have quietened down a little. Today though I want to share something really really simple yet incredibly delicious, just to ease us back into this game!

Peach season is upon us! I think peaches have to be my favourite fruit and I can demolish a punnet of peaches in a day, but thats ok because they're totally healthy so I don't feel too bad about it. My favourite has to be the yellow flesh peaches they just seem so much sweeter and juicer than the white flesh, and necatrines? forget about it. Is it just me or do they taste weird? But yes, peaches. Peaches are delicious and I'm so happy that I can get them in the supermarkets again. I love that they are only sold in season since I think that fruit sold out of season is just kind of meh... you know the strawberries in December that just taste like water or Blueberries that have literally no tartness or sweetness just mushiness. Ick. Well its the season for Peaches, Strawberries and Blueberries so I am one happy camper right now! My three favourite fruits right at my finger tips in all their sweet, tart, juicy glory! It's also the season where the weather gets warmer which seems really nice at first, until it's too warm, you know that british thing right? There's like a 3 degree window of too warm... too cold. Yesterday was one of those days that it was a case of nope... too hot. But a girl still want's dessert! Just, not turning on the oven because oh dear god please no more heat.

This is where today's recipe comes in. Here at the grad house we try to eat healthy, sure the odd bar of chocolate sneaks its way into my belly more often than it should occassionally... but we try to get plenty of fruit and wholegrains and cook things from scratch so we know what's in them. We're still working on the vegetables because we have very different tastes in those! I love broccoli, sprouts, green beans, cabbage, Mr Grad... not so much. But that's another post and another recipe! So, eating healthy, this fruit salad is a really easy way to get delicious fruit into you diet without having to munch your way through endless apples. As a bonus it also has the flavours of Mojito in it which has to be like the best drink ever. What's not to love??


Summer Fruit Salad serves: 2-3
This is so good. Light and refreshing yet sweet enough to satisfy that craving for dessert. You could totally replace the Peaches with Nectarines and maybe toss in a few Raspberries if you have them too. 

Ingredients:
  • 3 Ripe Peaches
  • 100g Blueberries
  • 200g Strawberries
  • 12 Mint Leaves
  • Zest & Juice of 1/2 a Lime
  • 1 tsp Icing Sugar
To Serve:
  • Lightly whipped cream

Method:
  1. Pit the peaches and chop in to chunks. (I like to pit them over the bowl so none of that delicious juice is lost)
  2. Halve or quarter the strawberries depending on size.
  3. Place the peaches, strawberries and blueberries into a large bowl and add the sugar, Lime zest and juice. 
  4. Tear over the mint leaves and toss all together until the sugar has dissolved and everything is well coated.
  5. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge for a few hours.
  6. Serve with lightly whipped cream for a delicious and healthy dessert or snack.
If you wanted to take it up a Mojito level, you could also add a splash of white Rum perhaps.

Tip: If you need to whip a small amount of cream and don't want to break out the bowl and whisk, just pour it into a mason jar or old jam jar, add a little icing sugar, a splash of vanilla and shake for 30-60 seconds! (don't forget to put on the lid...) You can then just keep any leftover cream in the fridge for a day or two until needed!




No comments:

Post a Comment